Saturday, June 20, 2009

pictures + freaky dreams

So, I thought I should share some pictures from last night; Midsummers eve. It's a big holiday here, one of the few hedonistic traditions the church weren't able to beat out of us no matter how hard they tried. Just to explain the symbolics, we erect a big pole, and decorate it with various symbols to increase fertility in the village. Both in humans (the young men erect it), crops (symbolized by leaves, flowers and the little man with rotating arms. He is specific for Åland btw) More info about poles in general from Wikipedia. And here's the pictures:

So, this is how I look if the photographer is laying in a recliner snapping pictures.Mom's back/side porch. Well, after she re-built the house it's her only porch actually.
The view from said porch. Yes, that is the Baltic Sea, and it was a very green midsummer.Mom chopping away branches in the little passage from the lawn up to the porch.
Midsummer is the time for flowers, so here you go (I'm kinda discovering to use the macro)Down at the flat (släten), waiting for the pole to be erected. D thinks I look pee-needy, I just think I look awful. The carriage in the back was D's when he was young, now his parents use it for his cousin Poppan (that's a nickname) who's three and a half years old.
Heave-ho and up she goes. It doesn't show, but the sea-shore is right behind the dance-course.And she's up! YAY and applause! Dang it! I missed the little man with revolving arms when i snapped this. I'll find you a picture, HERE! Ours is prettier though (duh), the crown (that's the colorful diamond shapes at the end of the horizontal sticks) at the bottom right is the one me and mom made. It's supposed to be a project for all the women in our part of the village, but mom was so swamped with work this last weeks that she did most of it herself when she had a moment to spare. And as always, I think ours is prettiest, even as we're stuck with making one in the Swedish colors. We do however cheat and add red in the tails and flowers. We're the only ones to make flowers. The others had really sloppy tails, and one didn't even have a bottom tail! *shock*D's dad danced around the pole with Poppan (that'd be they guy with white cap and the girl with red pants) looking so lost it made us all laugh like crazy. It's tradition to do that. (dance, not looking lost) Later on, even D's mom danced a little *impressed*
and now to the Freaky Dreams...
1. Last night I was in the delivery-ward. I was there because we had gone to the emergency room since my cough for the last week just kept getting worse, and I had probably gotten cold during the outside celebrations. Then my labor had started for some reason and they admitted me. So far so good. I was anxious but figured they'd fix it. Then one of the nurses came to adjust whatever it was that was behind my back and said "So, there, this is sure to speed things up, you'r baby should be out in a jiffy."
I freaked. I'm in my 21st week, my baby can't survive yet. In Finland they do try to save babies from week 23 and forward, but before that it's a miscarriage. I got hysterical, and they just kept telling em to get over it, that the labor must have started because the baby was dead, so it was just best to get it out as soon as possible. I remember D asking me what we should name it and me telling him we wouldn't get to, because it's not considered a baby before week 23 and therefor will not even be buried, only disposed of. I also remember the pains/labor ceasing and nothing happening for a really long while, except a lot of angst, and the nurses checking up on me sighing and complaining about my pigheadedness. I finally fell asleep from exhaustion.
When I woke up in my own bed, I wondered if they had let me home since the labor had stopped and it took me quite a while to come to my senses enough to realize it had been a dream. FREAKY!
2. I fell asleep again, and this time it wasn't as real, I kinda knew somewhere it was a dream, but still. I was at an airport, going somewhere, and pup had been born just the day before. I had the hardest time maneuvering both a luggage-trolley and the carriage at the same time, and I when i went up the escalator with the luggage somehow the carriage traveled halfway up the side-by staircase on it's own. But the pup was OK, so I payed it no bigger heed, I was a little late for my flight. When we were seated I got quite annoyed with the pup, shim had been sleeping since birth and I had yet to see his/her eyes (I also didn't know the sex for some reason, it was just my baby) but I couldn't make myself provoke shim to wake up, it felt cruel. just as the plane taxed out to the take-off zone, pup squirmed and opened a pair of baby-blue eyes. And was HUNGRY!!! Last memory is breastfeeding pup and being totally blissful.
Not so freaky, but still weird somehow.

I have not had any dreams of pup/pregnancy before, not that I can remember at least, so I don't know what it means. I guess it's 'cos I passed the half-way mark the other day, I officially have less days left than has passed. To be precise 137 days left, and 143 down.

No comments:

Post a Comment